Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Farewell, Trecastagni.

Today is our last day here in this little mountain town we have called home for the past two years.  Tomorrow the movers will come and pack up all our things in big crates to be shipped over to the States on a boat. This could take up to 2 months.  Luckily we won't be needing any of it for awhile though, as my in-laws have been so gracious to put a roof over our head until we have a place of our own...although I wouldn't mind living with my mother and father in law forever!! It will be nice to be there through the holiday season, my MIL decorates so nicely and methinks it will be a great time for Zoe.

 (And me too. 2 christmases ago when I was there before coming out to Sicily she put a glowing snowman snowglobe in the room with me...one night their cat was sleeping under the bed, unbeknownst to me, and decided to slowly and creepily crawl out and make weird cat noises...if I didn't have the light from that sweet glowing snowman I might have thought my worst fears had come true and a ghost was there to kill me in my sleep.  However, when I looked over and saw two glowy cat eyes staring up at me, my heart started to beat again and at that moment I had never been so happy to see a cat in my entire life. I swear that cat knew my deepest fears...she was out to get me.)

Sorry for that huge sidenote. Moving on now....

Although we move out of our house tomorrow we don't get to go back to the states quite yet, we will be living in a hotel for the next month in a town called Motta Sant' Anastasia. We will be about 10 minutes from base as apposed to 45 mins.  This town has been dubbed 'Little America' since most military families that arrive here to Sicily will live here until they find a permanent residence or just stay in Motta or live on base.  The streets in Motta are like San Francisco, really steep and narrow...I have a hard time driving stick but I will have to manage this last month!! I may or may have not stalled more than once driving through Motta...which is why i try to avoid driving through Motta all together.  One more month of driving stick...I can do this...!!

Anyways, Eric (I'm kind of done with the whole DH thing.  Not that he isn't my dear husband...I just like Eric much better :P) took some pictures of Zoe and I walking around town for our last time today, the weather was nice and breezy and sunny.  We had a storm attack yesterday with thunder and lightning and heavy rain drops, it was kind of nice...it made for a lovely walk today with all the clean air and fluffy white clouds in the sky.  We stopped for one last time into the cafe and got some granita...this is a treat that is only made in Sicily, its like shaved ice but its SO shaved that it's smooth almost like gelato... it is SO good.  Almond granita is my favorite, with some dark chocolate granita mixed it.  They give it to you with a soft loaf of sweet bread called 'brioche' and you put the granita on pieces of it and eat it...O M G it is so good.  I opted out of eating the bread, The granita is probably not Whole30 approved but I made an exception today because once we are home, I will never have granita again.  Thank you Sicily, for the decadent granita that I have come to love...and cherish...my mouth will miss you.

I hope you enjoy the pictures, for 30 minutes I don't think her little feet stopped for more that 5 seconds at a time...she LOVES running about and seeing Eric and I follow her around.  She likes to stare at old people and likes picking up leaves and trying to eat them. She is the absolute best!!! Happy Tuesday to you all. :)






This is her "follow me!" face
 








Look at that deliciousness. The Almond granita almost tastes like
frozen horchata. Heaven in my mouth!!!




6 comments:

  1. Well, she looks very busy and important! Good luck with your move to your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous girls! ♥ & The almond granita looks so delish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your move, you have a lovely blog. I'd love you to check out mine too, keep in touch with me, B x

    http://rebeccape93.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her little moccasin booties! I need a pair. So where are you staying at in Motta? While you're there make sure to eat at the restaurant we called The Barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such exciting news! Love this series of her, her booties and her diaper peeking out, adorable. Looks and sounds like it was a great way to spend the last day in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. she's adorable and you're a total babe. Such exciting things for you guys are happening!

    How are you holding up with the moving process?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Lovely for you to stop by... :)