Friday, August 24, 2012

Whole30 Challenge

I've been doing Paleo pretty consistently for the past almost 6 months now.  I say pretty consistenly because well, I fell off the bandwagon a few times, first starting in May when my brother came out here to visit.  It was too hard for me to stay focused and on the straight and narrow when we were eating out a lot and 'vacationing'.  I sure regretted that decision though, my body really felt it when I indulged in bread and pastas.  Like I had a huge rock in my stomach.  When he left (sad)  I went right back onto the  Paleo track.

Then in July when we took a road trip up to Rome to drop off the dogs to be sent home, I gave in again.  It is so hard sitting in a car for over 10 hours and not snack on the delectable treats you pick up along the way at the gas stations, not to mention the mini sandwiches I made for DH and then ended up eating myself. Whoops. Strike number 2.  I kind of wavered after this, up through my birthday when DH suprised me with the best cake of my life.  It was definitely not Paleo...but it was heaven in my mouth. Not so much heaven in my belly.  I wasn't feeling my greatest physically anymore, I didn't really notice how great I was feeling on Paleo until I wasn't feeling great NOT on Paleo anymore.  Sometimes things work out that way.

August 1st DH and I started working out together in our sauna of a basement.  He got p90x for us to do together.  DH doesnt ever EVER buy anything unless he spends at least 1 week doing intense research.  I knew he was serious.  I wasn't feeling so great physically, I was planning on starting strict 100% paleo anyways so why not do the two together and get even better results??

We are almost through with our first phase, the first 30 days.  It has been intense to say the least.  We have only taken one day of 'rest' (just spent 1 hour stretching instead) this whole first phase.  I am so proud of us!! I am already feeling stronger, leaner, and I have lost 7 lbs. DH is starting to look not too shabby himself. If I already am seeing results and feeling this great, barely 1/3 of the way through, I can't wait to see us at 90 days.  If I am brave enough maybe I'll post before and after pictures. My before pictures (taken Aug 1) are...well, shameful.

Although I have been strict Paleo this past month (besides my few bites of Pho a couple days ago) I want to take it up a notch and do the whole30 challenge.  This is pretty much going 110% Paleo.  Meaning no paleo baked goods with added sweeteners like honey. No Paleo pizza, no nothing!! Eat like a true cave woman. Meat, Fish, lots of veggies, some fruit and nuts. Lots of water!!! The goal is to   reset and cleanse my body from toxins and curb sugar cravings and build good habits to eat clean and correct.  It is going to be hard but nothing that is worth anything is easy!!

I really want to set myself up to eat Paleo for the rest of my life, making it a lifestyle and not just something I feel like doing at the moment.  It is obviously bettering my health, DH has been going 80% Paleo with me and he has said numerous times how much better he feels in the morning and just overall physically and mentally.  I'm not perfect, I know there will be times I will have to give in and have a non paleo treat every now and again, a couple drink with friends, indulge in some Yogurtland.....

But starting Sept 1st, for 30 days I will be doing the whole30 challenge and there will be no room for treat days or paleofying of cheat foods!! Wish me luck, my mom is going to attempt to do this with me all the way across the globe in America.  I can't wait to hear how much better she will feel just from doing this.
Here is a link that outlines the whole30 challenge more thoroughly: Whole30 challenge


1 comment:

  1. Good luck!!!! You can definitely do it!!! I'm on day 10 now I just blogged about it the other day. We were not paleo before so you've got a bit of the upper hand going in!! Let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely for you to stop by... :)